February 28, 2022 9:23 am
EAST BUCHANAN MIDDLE SCHOOL / HIGH SCHOOL
Monday, February 28, 2022
Today is Day 6 of the 6-Day Cycle
TODAY’S SCHEDULE Regular
- High School Boys and Girls Track meeting in the commons after school today!!
- We had a PERFECT day on Saturday at Maq Valley for the district speech contest. EVERYONE received a 1 rating and will be advancing to state in all categories! Maya Huegel received 1s in poetry and prose. Ben Hesner received 1s in spontaneous speaking and radio news. Talan Shah-Crow received 1s in spontaneous speaking and reviewing. Harmony Walker received a 1 in radio news. Congratulations!
- Congratulations to all East Buchanan FFA members who competed Thursday night at the sub-district event! Everyone did a fantastic job representing the chapter and themselves. District competition is Saturday March 12th in Decorah. The results from Thursday are:
- Ag Broadcasting: Charli Sherman earned a silver rating
- Ag Sales: Lauren Beyer earned a gold rating and advanced to districts
- Conduct of Meetings: Lindsay Beyer, Kreighton Peck, Ayda Cook, Tristan Lindsay, Kalli Sherman, Kate Dolan, Mikel Dolan and Addy Gericke earned a gold rating and advanced to districts
- Creed Speaking: Abby Crawford earned a silver rating
- Extemporaneous Speaking: Kirby Cook earned a gold rating and advanced to districts
- Job Interview: Keeley Kehrli earned a gold rating and alternate to districts
- Parliamentary Procedure: Frankie Dolan, Isabelle Dolan, Kyle Wessels, Lucas Tempus and Carter Rosburg earned a gold rating and advanced to districts
- Anyone interested in completing driver’s education this Spring or Summer, please stop in the HS office for the forms.
- Girls Soccer: Player and parent info meeting on March 1st @ 630pm in the Indee HS commons.
- HS Track sign-up is in the office on the counter for this spring. Practice will start on Monday March 7th. First track meet is Friday March 25. We will have a track meeting after school on Monday February 28.
- Attention MS and HS track throwers: Brad Wymer, the Solon throwing coach, will be hosting a throwing clinic for shot put and discus here at EB on March 5th from 8:30-4. Brad has many years experience and state qualifiers. Please message Coach Goeller if you are interested or have any questions.
- Trapshooting: A handout is forthcoming. The season will begin March 24th with a meeting at 4:30 at the clubhouse of the Buchanan County Wildlife Association. Practice will begin March 28th after school. We will be allowing 8th grade through seniors to go out for trap. Hunter’s safety is required to go out for trap. Safety is our top priority.
- HS Students!! Please remember to lock your car when parked in the school parking lot!!
- SENIORS: Please turn in your baby picture and senior picture to Mrs. Goedken for the newspaper, senior video, and yearbook. Mrs. Goedken‘s email is email@example.com. Photos can be scanned here at school or sent in digitally.
SPECIAL ATTENTION FOR PARENTS AND STUDENTS
- Our April 23 Prom Theme is “Enchanted Forest” & we are looking for artificial greenery, vines, & trees, as well as lanterns, white lights, or fabrics for decorating. If you have anything that you would like to let us borrow, or would like to donate, for a few weeks around that time please contact Mrs. Huegel at firstname.lastname@example.org. It would be greatly appreciated!
- ABCM Rehabilitation Centers of Independence are hiring for the following. They will accommodate work study students.
–Dietary Aide: hours are 4p-730p with potential for additional hours on the weekends and during school breaks (starting wage $10/hour)
–Certified Nurse Aide: hours during the school week for high school students are 4p-10p, on the weekends the hours are 2p-10p, with potential for additional hours on weekends and during school breaks. Ask us how we can help you get certified! (certified aide starting wage $15/hour)
–Environmental Services – Housekeeper: hours are 7a-2p on weekends and during school breaks. (starting wage $10/hour)
–Environmental Services – Maintenance: hours to be determined. (starting wage depends on experience, tech classes are considered experience!)
- SENIOR PARENTS & SENIORS: It’s time to start digging through those old pictures. We would love for you to send us pictures of the class of 2021 when they were in elementary and middle school for the senior video. Email them to Mrs. Goedken or bring them in to be scanned. Don’t forget – we also need a senior picture and a baby photo!
- Are you a senior? Will you be 18 by May? AgVantage FS in Hazleton is looking for crop scout interns for 2022. This internship goes from Mid May-Mid August so you would be finished up before heading to college in the fall. If you are interested please email see Mr. Doese or email him at email@example.com or email Ms. Leslye Horn at firstname.lastname@example.org
College Representatives: (Notify the office if interested)
March 1 – Hawkeye Community College – Fall 2022 Registration Session
March 14 – Kirkwood – 11:15
March 15 – NICC – 11:15
March 30 – Upper Iowa – 11:15
Feb 28 – WG Chicken Nuggets Baked Smiley Potatoes Green Beans Pineapple Tidbits Oranges WG Breadstick Milk
March 1 – Corn dogs, pickles, baked potato wedges, baked beans, diced strawberries, apple, milk
March 2 – Shrimp poppers, mac & cheese, green beans, celery sticks, diced peaches, diced melon, milk
March 3 – Taco, refried beans, grape tomatoes, bananas, diced pears, cinnamon par roll, milk
March 4 – Cheese bits, spaghetti sauce, romaine lettuce salad, sliced peppers, grapes, mixed fruit, mik
Feb 28 Begin Tri 3
Feb 28 12:30 MS TRC Honor Choir
Mar 9 5:00 School Board Meeting
Mar 10-12 Accounting II Field Trip
Mar 12 State Individual Speech Contest
Mar 12 9am FFA: Northeast District Contest
Mar 17 1:30 Dismissal
Mar 18 No School
Mar 19 EB Gala
Mar 24-27 HS Musical
Mar 25 4:30 HS Track TRC Co-Ed Indoor
Mar 28 All-State Festival Ind
Mar 31- Apr2 FBLA Conference Coralville
BREAKFAST DUTY – Breakfast begins @ 730am